The red lip is the new nude. It can be paired with classics like the little black dress, the nude pump and the smoky eye. It dates back centuries, with popularity in American culture rising in the early 1900s. In 1915, an article in the New York Times advised women to apply lipstick with caution because it was seen as immoral. This changed in the 1920s with the rise of flappers and speakeasies, and it has been here to stay ever since.Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick. - Gwyneth Paltrow.
Although it can seem intimidating at first, there are foolproof steps every girl can follow to make sure their red lips will be kissable in any situation.
1. Choose a lip liner that matches the shade of lipstick you are applying. In addition to lining your lips with it, which will neutralize the pinkness in your natural lips, fill in your lips completely with the liner. This way, if your lipstick wears off at any point, you have an extra layer of color beneath it.
2. Apply your first coat of red lipstick. Depending on how deep and intense you want the color to be, you can apply more. Using a lip brush also will help the staying power.
3. In between the first and second coat, lightly powder your lips with nude setting powder to help the color last longer.
4. Apply the second coat and finish with a clear gloss for glossy shine. (Optional).
5. Rock it. Get ready to turn heads and feel sexy, beautiful and confident. (Not optional).
There is a shade of red for every lip and a look for every shade, so have no fear: You’ll find it eventually! It’s like dating; part of the fun is figuring it all out.
Red lips are like the color black, in that they go with everything. They look as great with a nude eye and light blush as they do with a dark, glittery eye and false eyelashes. It is so fun to experiment with for this reason: your lipstick look can really be anything you want it to be.
The most important thing of all is the positive attitude. Red lipstick has become one of our favorite looks, with Revlon Lip Butter being one of CG’s top choices. It looks and feels amazing! You feel like a supermodel when you have it on, and it definitely shows.
By: Jordan Schuman | Images: Source, Jordan Schuman