The first step to shifting a look from day to night is retouching the base. Begin by applying a layer of concealer under the eyes and finish by sweeping a setting powder or mineral foundation over the entire face. This will set the concealer, add coverage and rid the face of any shininess. Try Clinique’s Even Better Concealer, ($19.50), to add brightness under the eyes and cover dark circles. For a powder, try BareMinerals' Ready Touch Up Veil Broad Spectrum SPF 15, ($22). This handy compact has two options, translucent and tinted. This allows for the exact coverage needed.
Apply a cream blush to the apples of the cheeks and blend up toward the hairline. NARS’s Multiple in Orgasm, ($39), may be a splurge item, but it can be used not only on the cheeks but also on the lips and eyes. Also, the color payoff is tremendous, so a little bit will go a long way! For a less expensive version try mark.’s Just Pinched Instant Blush Tint, ($8).
For a drastic change from day to night, finish with a smokey eye.
For this look, use:
- three shadow colors,
- a black pencil liner, and
1. Begin by sweeping the nude shadow over the lids and up to the brow bone.
2. Next, apply the contour color on the lid, making sure to concentrate the color at the outer corner of the eye and blending into the middle. This is what will ultimately give dimension to the eye so that it’s not completely flat.
3. Then use the matte black shadow above the lash line as well as in the crease of the eye.
4. Blend this well around the edges to create the “smokey” effect.
5. Next, take a black eyeliner and line the upper and lower waterline.
6. Use the same pencil to draw a thick line close to the upper lashes for more precise definition.
7. Finish by sweeping two coats of black mascara on the lashes, and the look is complete!
Without already owning shadows for a smokey eye look, it would be worth it to look into purchasing a pallette. Two Faced has their own Smokey Eye Shadow Collection, ($34), which at first seems a bit pricey, but comes down to $4 per shadow. It also comes with directions for various looks to try with the palette so all the colors can be used. As for the liner and mascara, try a simple black L'Oreal Kohl Pencil, ($6), and Benefit’s BADgal Lash Mascara, ($19), for extra volume.
From start to finish this look can be done in less than 10 minutes. With so much time to spare there will be plenty of time to prepare for a date night!
By: Flannery Underwood | Images: Listed retail stores