Following an explosion of pastels and floral prints this past summer, fall is here to vamp up your look. After being a fall favorite for years, burgundy has made its resurrection on the runways and in editorial beauty.
Sure, burgundy sounds like an intimidating color to wear on your face, oftentimes even more so than the classic red lipstick. But its comfort comes from its range of intensities: from dark berries, wines and fuchsias, burgundy perks up your complexion by accentuating your natural flush.
The best way to wear such a dramatic color is on your lips. The trick here is to find a hue of burgundy that complements your skin tone. For those with a cooler complexion, chose a burgundy lipstick with a magenta, mauve or wine quality. And for those with a warmer complexion, look for a burgundy lipstick with a wine, violet or orange undertone.
2. MAC Lipstick in Rebel: $15, MAC Stores.
3. Black Radiance in Eldorado Red: $1.99, Drugstore.com.
4. Estee Lauder Double Wear Lipstick in Stay Mulberry: $25, Nordstrom.
Sporting a bold lip color such as burgundy encourages you to wear minimal makeup elsewhere since the attention is instantaneously placed on your lips. As a result you can pretty much go bare face: just apply two coats of mascara and a little eyeliner. Voilà! You instantly look super chic and mysterious.
Another way to spice up your look with a splash of burgundy is on your nails. Dark nail polishes in the fall give you an edge of drama and elegance without trying too hard.
Don’t drench yourself in the color, of course. Beauty should be fun, not monochromatic! Considering that burgundy is totally à la mode right now, there is no reason to stop at just beauty. Here are some of our favorite finds both in beauty and fashion. Sure, some of these items are a little luxurious, but that’s what makes them perfect for your holiday wish list! It is never too early to begin looking for the perfect staple in your wardrobe.
2. Smashbox Image Factory Airblush Whipped Cheek in Berry Bliss: $29, Sephora.
3. Topshop MOTO Supersoft Skinny Leigh Jeans in Wine: $76, Topshop.
4. By Terry Mascara Terrybly in #5 - Iconic Bordeaux: $46, Barneys.
5. Cashmere Scarf: $45, H&M.
6. Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in Pomegranate Punk: $6.99, Ulta.
7. Leather Gloves: $29.95, H&M.
8. NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Rust: $4.49, Ulta.
9. Essie Skirting the Issue: $8, Essie.
10. Essie Plumberry: $8, Essie.
11. OPI Shatter Coat in Super Bass: $8, Drugstore.com.
12. Kimchi Blue Metal Edge Tote: $59, Urban Outfitters.
If our burgundy crush hasn’t exhausted you yet, you can always check out Urban Outfitters. Further proving that you should go buy a burgundy lipstick or add some sophistication to your wardrobe, Urban Outfitters’ website has a clothing selection dedicated to oxblood, the vampiest shade of burgundy! Click here to view their fall collection dedicated to this shade of red.
By: Ivanna Coello | Images: Source, listed retail stores