2 sticks unsalted butter (a little extra for ramekins)
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch of nutmeg
12 ounces semisweet chocolate (chopped)
1 cup flour
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
6 large eggs (plus 6 egg yolks)
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
fresh fruit (optional)
**Makes 8 cakes.
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Butter eight 6-ounce ramekins (small ceramic or glass serving bowls).
3. Sprinkle each with ½ teaspoon granulated sugar.
4. Combine butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and chocolate in a saucepan on low heat.
5. Stir frequently until melted.
6. Let cool slightly.
7. Whisk flour, powdered sugar, eggs (and yolks), vanilla extract and almond extract in a bowl until creamy.
8. Add in the melted chocolate mixture.
9. Divide into the ramekins.
10. Bake the cakes until the tops become stiff and the edges darken. This is usually around 12 to 14 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
12. Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife to transfer to plates while still warm.
13. Dust with powdered sugar.
14. Top with fresh fruit if desired.
By: Liz Stratman | Image: Savory Sweet Life | Source: Food Network