There is nothing more personal than the scent you choose to wear. Fragrances have history; triggering memories, emotions and even moods, our sense of smell is the most sensitive. Although many celebrities launched new fragrances in 2012, such as Britney Spears’ Fantasy Twist, Lady Gaga’s FAME and Nicki Minaj’s Pink Friday, few have been coveted as the best fragrances of 2012. It is is no surprise that the classics still reign.
1. Miss Dior Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz ($82, Sephora). We can’t begin this list with anything other than this iconic perfume, the world’s fifth best selling fragrance. Whether you are searching for a fragrance that’s sweet, sophisticated, girly or sexy, this is it! Its strawberry top notes concocted with its signature caramelized popcorn mid notes make it sugary perfection. It’s sugar and spice, and everything nice; just what girls are made of. For all you Miss Dior Cherie lovers, don’t fret! Although the fragrance has been reformulated, the Cherie version is still sold at Sephora. Click here for details about the new changes.
2. Viva La Juicy 1.7 oz ($70, Sephora). This fragrance’s magic lies in its versatility: it can be worn during the day or night. It is one of those fragrances that keeps the compliments coming all day long. If you love vanilla, this will hit the spot! Accompanied with vanilla, Viva La Juicy finishes with notes of amber, caramel, vanilla, sandalwood, and get this: praline, a dish made from nuts and sugar syrup. With a recipe like that, we can understand its sweet smell!
3. Enchanted Wonderstruck 1.7 oz ($49.50, Sephora). Because 2012 seems to be the year of Taylor Swift (although, which year hasn’t been since her 2006 debut?), we could not forget to include her new fragrance. It became an instant favorite to so many girls! “Wonderstruck is about that moment when you instantly feel a connection to someone, but then there’s that feeling of being completely enamored -- enchanted -- when you know a little more about that someone and still feel that strong connection,” Swift says. We couldn’t agree more! This scent makes you feel sexy and lasts fairly long!
4. Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue 1.6 oz ($48, Sephora) and Chanel Chance 1.7 oz ($85, Sephora). These modern classics tie for their signature everyday clean smell. If you shy away from sweet scents, you will appreciate the floral freshness of these two picks. Light Blue’s and Chance’s heart notes contain jasmine, giving them an irresistible floral aroma. If you love the classics, like as Chanel No.5 and Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb, you will love the subtle elegance these fragrances have.
5. DKNY Be Delicious 1.7 oz ($65, Sephora). We could not resist ignoring this popular staple, which has probably graced everybody’s wardrobe at least once. Its citrusy goodness makes this the perfect spring and summer fragrance. Its appropriately apple-shaped package makes it resonate with younger girls as well as us college goddesses. Its fruity note of apple makes it notoriously long lasting and delicious. This fragrance always draws in compliments, and your boyfriend will love it -- citrus never fails!
Check back throughout December for College Gloss’ Best of 2012 beauty series! Next week, we’ll give you our picks of the year for skincare.
By: Ivanna Coello